Friday, May 5, 2017

Pregnancy...

Fair warning: this post may be long and maybe more information than you want, but I mostly wanted it for myself :)
Finding Out:
Clayton and I had just barely decided that it was time to start a family, so we stopped all birth control and we were so excited. I didn't expect it to happen so fast for us, but I am so grateful for that blessing. I just can't even imagine what some people go through and the trial that is in their life.

We went to the Eastern Idaho Fair in Blackfoot and all of the food smells that I normally love from the Western Idaho Fair just bothered me like crazy. I felt nauseous the whole night. The next morning I got the FAINTEST line and we couldn't have been more excited! I lost all of my pictures from 2016 that I didn't post on social media, but I kept my pregnancy test and the line has gotten darker over time:





Due Date: May 18th.
1st Trimester:
I set up my first Dr appointment and after talking with the doctor for a bit about how quick I got pregnant, he decided that it was very possible that I could have just been spotting from stopping my birth control so he wanted an ultrasound to be sure. I was more than happy to be able to see that my baby was growing and had a good heartbeat! The due date came up as May 20th and since that was within 2-3 days, Dr. Jones kept my due date as the 18th. (Really funny that my doctor's name is Dr. Jones with the 2 Doc Jones' I have in my family!).


I fell in love with my doctor--he wasn't afraid of my questions, my appointments were super quick and easy with no dorking around or excess amounts of waiting, and everything went really well. I only got sick at night if I had eaten too much that day or not enough. I just learned to make sure that I was eating just the right amount. I did have a lot of heartburn starting in my first trimester and through most of my 2nd trimester. No real cravings, but I usually knew EXACTLY what I wanted when we were ready to eat something. It made things really helpful in deciding!

2nd Trimester:
As I rolled into my 2nd trimester, I got more and more sick. It didn't matter how much I ate, what I ate, when I ate, etc. I also wasn't very nauseous at all, I just would randomly have to sprint to somewhere that I could throw up. Dr. Jones was so good with me about it and offered to give me a prescription. We started with just a sample of Diclegis and it worked wonders. He was able to keep giving me samples until I no longer needed them. After that I took B12 just at night and it kept me from getting sick at all. During my 2nd Trimester I craved fruit SO MUCH--pineapple, strawberries, etc. It was a little difficult because of the time of year, so I didn't actually get some very often but when I did it was heavenly! My 20 week ultrasound the tech said that it was all very textbook--measurements were perfect, 10 toes (thank goodness!), and everything looked great.



We decided to not find out the gender during our appointment and to have the tech put it in an envelope. Just before we left town for Christmas, our friend Eric took the envelope and filled ziplocs and a black garbage bag with Red or Blue chalk that we would later attach to tannerite and shoot with a gun. All of our family (Clayton's siblings and parents besides Ryan, and my siblings + nieces and nephews except for Cory's family and Justin) gathered at Pickle Butte in Nampa to see us shoot it off.



It's a....




GIRL!!!!






3rd Trimester:
I was smooth sailing into my 3rd trimester. No sickness, my heartburn began to die down, and life was good. I was taking 15 credits and working 10 hours a week so I was just pretty tired the majority of the time, but I probably would have been even not being pregnant! Enjoy some fun pictures of our growing family:






Luckily the semester ended early April and I began to work nearly full time hours. Until things got a little crazy with my pregnancy....On April 23rd, I was swollen like a balloon. I didn't have any other symptoms so I didn't worry about it through church. My mom still suggested that I get my blood pressure taken, so Cassy and I went to the Pharmacy to check it out. After the pharmacist took my blood pressure 3 times, she looks at me funny and says that it is 140/90 (pretty high). She suggested that I contact my Dr and he tells me to come into the office in the morning unless I start feeling worse. I began feeling very light headed, nearly passed out, and pretty nauseous. I was getting pretty nervous so Clayton and I headed to the Labor and Delivery floor of the hospital. Everything check out okay, except my blood pressure was still at 134/84. I went to bed early that night and got SO MUCH sleep. I figured it would have gone way down, but I still headed into the Dr. It was up to 145/95. Dr. Jones said that if it got to 160 on the top or 110 on the bottom then we would start to really worry--even though I wasn't showing any other signs of Pre-eclampsia. We decided to do a 24 hour urine test (every time that I peed it was into a little hat thing that covered my toilet which I then poured into a jug that I had to keep in the fridge). The next morning my blood pressure was 134/95. The nurse still really didn't like that bottom number but everything else was checking out okay that they would just keep an eye on me. I think that this was the day that I decided to quit my job to hopefully keep my blood pressure down, or at least to keep it from having something extra to raise it (i.e. talking to old people on the phone all day long and attempting to keep my cool and be patient with them!). My 24 hour urine test showed 151 mg of protein -- they don't worry about anything until 300 mg. I was feeling pretty good, but I still took the day easy. Later that evening I was just curious if my blood pressure had gone down a ton since I had been so relaxed all day. Turns out it was 142/107...I was a little freaked out. My Dr just said to come back in in the morning and we would watch the pattern. In the morning I was feeling light-headed and worried so I figured it had spiked again. Were we going to have a baby today? Tomorrow? What was going to happen? The nurse came in and my blood pressure was down to 110/70!!!!! I was shocked! And I felt a little stupid for being so worried the past couple of days. He still said we would want to keep an eye on things. In his practice he has seen that if anyone ever had protein over 100 he only saw it get progressively worse. I still had a long way to go until I hit the 300 mark, so that was a good since. He said that he wouldn't be surprised if we would meet this baby within a week or so, because it was also common to see blood pressures go back up despite the little drop. We would just have to wait and see. The next day was my 37 week appointment and my bp was approaching the high range so we continued to watch the trend. The next week (May 1st), we scheduled to induce me at exactly 39 weeks (May 11th) since my bp wasn't quite high enough to justify being induced earlier. He still wanted to check my blood pressure on Friday so that I didn't go the whole weekend without being checked and it was 134/100. Dr. Jones didn't think that I would make it through the weekend and told me to go into the Labor/Delivery Floor Saturday morning (May 6th) to check my blood pressure once again and more than likely induce me. Dr. Jones said to go home, take it easy, get all of the last minute things ready, call family, and be ready to have a baby the next day!

No comments:

Post a Comment