I've decided to continue with this blog. Just a place where people can read my random thoughts, life adventures, and whatever else my fingers decide to type.
Today was my first day back at BYU (as a sophomore) and it went much better than expected. I started work at the Wymount Terrace Custodial--I thought of you, Carissa, the whole time--and had 2 classes. I ran into one of my old roommates and had a blast catching up with her. This morning during work though something caught my attention and it stuck with me throughout the day--
When I first arrived we were all sitting around waiting for the boss to get there and everyone was on their phones. I didn't think much of it until I went to fill out paperwork in the Student Employment office and again everyone in line was on their phones as well. It got me thinking. Without those phones most people probably would have made conversation with one another. Instead, I have absolutely NO IDEA who I was in line next to and will probably never recognize them even if I saw them again. It's kind of sad actually. Who knows who was standing next to me? Maybe they're going to be the next president of the United States and I could've said "oh hey, I remember standing in a line with them at college." Or maybe they're going to be an apostle or general authority in the church and I could say the same thing. Or it's possible that they were having a not so fun day and some small talk with a stranger is just what they needed (obviously not what everyone needs in life but a nice get-to-know-you-smile can certainly brighten someone's day). As I mulled over those thoughts throughout the day I decided that maybe it wouldn't hurt to put the phone down a little more. Look at the people around me. Have a conversation with them. Maybe make a new friend along the way. It certainly wouldn't hurt!
So glad you are going to keep blogging! I love getting to know people through writing because you express yourself differently, and I think more honestly, when you write. Go Wymount! Are you one of the people that cleans apartments after people move out, or do you make repairs? And I think you are spot on with the whole phone thing. That is exactly why I resisted getting a smart phone for so long. I try really hard to be concious of it but when it is right there in front of you the temptation wins over all too often. I find myself doing it at home sometimes and I have to just put the phone away and not care what happens to it and just be WITH my kids. Keep on thinking girl, and keep on sharing! And just know that even if I don't always comment, I am always reading.
ReplyDelete